Sunday, March 1, 2009

Fire at Motor Wheel Lofts

I’m home pretty much all day since I work from home. We’ve lived here for about 6 months and in that time, the fire alarm has gone off three times during the day, all false alarms. So tonight while I was washing my hair the fire alarm goes off. I’m seriously in the middle of it, shampoo and everything so I decide I’m going to ignore it, it’s like the Boy Who Cried Wolf. Brandon goes out in the hallway and one of our neighbors tells him it’s a real fire. I had one armpit shaved, no conditioner in my hair but I jump out throw something on and head out the door still soaking wet. There was definitely a fire, the smoke hit us as soon as we stepped into the hallway. We headed down the stairwell just as 2 firemen came running up the stairs in full gear with their axes in their hands. When we got downstairs there we 8 firetrucks, at least 20 fireman, and all of our neighbors. Come to find out the treadmill in the gym caught on fire, and then the rest of the gym, and who knows what else. We were outside in the 17 degree coldness for about an hour and half, I’m pretty sure my wet hair had ice crystals. Okay, so I learned my lesson and will happily evacuate each and end every time the fire alarm goes off. Luckily we were able to snap a few pictures with Brandon's cell phone...

8 comments:

Katie said...

dude- that is crazy. Glad you guys are okay!

Jamie said...

OMG!! Why didn't you guys call us?? I'm assuming you didn't take your phones with you but still! We would have gladly come to pick you up. I'm glad that you're okay though. That's scary!!

The Sorensens said...

That is so crazy!! I'm glad you got out of the shower-sorry you had to freeze. Can't wait to see you!

KFinley said...

That is so scary! Hopefully everything is okay and you don't have any smoke damage! Seriously, call us if you need anything or get stuck outside in freezing weather again!

Mark & Bek said...

That's crazy. I wish I could run so fast on a treadmill it would catch on fire. Good thing Brandon was home.

Rachel said...

Wow! That is intense!

CofCandK said...

I started that fire with my lightning fast tootsies! Sorry about the timing!

familyof4 said...

That is scary! And being stuck outside would not be fun! Glad you are okay.

I tried the Cafe Rio recipe Sunday with rice and it's A-Mazing! We had left over yesterday and today for lunch! Yumm! Thanks for sharing it.